This Saturday May 12th, we will be hosting our Kids & Technology Event. This FREE event will take place at our showroom from 12-4pm. One of our main features will be our Parents Corner. This will include an informative step by step demonstration to internet safety on iOS and OS X devices from our Apple Experts.
If you’ve got young children, chances are they’re already quite proficient at using Apple products. This is a new generation of techy little ones, and we’ve got our work cut out for us as we attempt to stay ahead of them. I’ll guess that you’re more concerned with protecting your children from the unknown dangers of the internet, but equally important is protecting your Mac and Apple devices from your children!
Luckily, if you’ve got a Mac, MacBook, iPad, iPod, or iPhone, OS X and iOS comes with some great Parental Controls and Restrictions built right into the operating system which will help you combat both of these situations.This post serves as a starter guide in locking down your devices and making it safe for your kids to use without your direct supervision.
It is a common known fact that young kids can spend hours on end on their Macs, iPads, and iPhones. But the time spent can be restricted for what you feel is the appropriate amount of time on each device. Here are the step by step tools for control:
1.When you log onto your Mac or Macbook, on the top left – click on the Apple logo.
2. A drop down menu should appear, click on System Preferences.
3. The System Preferences folder will pop up. Under the tab, System - click on Parental Controls.
4. On the Parental Controls window, on the left side you will see all the login accounts on the device.
5. To add an account, simply click on the + sign on the bottom left to add an account.
6. After that is done, select the Account for which you would like to enable Parent Controls.
7. Once you click enable Parent Control, you will be brought to a page where you will see tabs at the top labeling the control options. Click on Time Limits.
8. You have the options of Weekday Time Limits, Weekend Time Limits, and Bed Time.
9. For each feature, click the amount of time limited for Weekday and/or Weekend. And for Bedtime, choose the hours of when the computer can be accessed.
10. Once all specifications are made, click on the lock image on the bottom left. Enter in the name and password that you use to log into your account.
11. Changes made and…Finito! – Simple right?!
To learn more about Parental Controls and Restrictions, join us this Saturday!
This event will also feature:
- Kids using the iPad as a teaching tool, including educational apps.
- Kaleidescape Kids – the first movie server for children. A hands on demo from the Kaleidescape Experts.
- Kid Ventures will be hosting an arts & craft station.
- Free family BBQ
- Discounts on “Kid Friendly” products
- Raffle prizes include: Apple training certificates, Kid Venture passes, Kaleidescape T-shirts, DVD openers, iPad cases, Screen Protectors and more!
The first 20 families attending will receive a kid-movie DVD! We hope to you on this afternoon of fun, food, entertainment, and education!
La Jolla Home Theater & Automation – Apple Reseller
6837 La Jolla Blvd.
La Jolla, CA 92037
(858) 750- 3177